Saturday, February 22, 2014

NEW! Massage on Thursdays with Meave O'Connor

We are excited to announce that Meave O'Connor, a wonderful, nurturing bodyworker and a long-time Sarana client and supporter will be joining our practitioner team!

Meave will be offering acupressure massage on Thursdays 3 - 6 pm starting on 3/6/14. Please call us (510-526-5056) to schedule your appointment or book online anytime.

More about Meave and her work:

I come to Asian bodywork from a lifelong interest in complementary medicine and healing practices. I started my acupressure bodywork practice after a career as a public school teacher where I worked with children who had learning disabilities.

I have received most of my training at the Berkeley Acupressure Institute and continue to study privately with some of the faculty members there. In my practice at Sarana I will be using the active bodywork styles of acupressure, including tui na, shiatsu and some reflexology.

Tui na (Chinese massage) stimulates the acupressure points using a combination of hand motions and massage techniques to increase the flow of blood and energy in the body. Shiatsu uses pressure placed strategically along the meridians (energetic pathways) to release blockages and to stimulate the flow of chi (essential life force). Reflexology uses massage and pressure point techniques on the feet and hands to favorably influence the body, mind and spirit.

As an activist who helps to protect and restore the environment, I have come to understand that our bodies are much like the natural world and oftentimes reflections of it. Working with the energy meridians to enable the body's wisdom to balance the whole person is the practice I love.

I enjoy dancing, music, film and theater as well as hiking and swimming. Being a vagabond at heart I have traveled far and wide. I've been practicing yoga daily for 30 years and have recently started to study Qigong with Master Mingtong Gu.

I volunteer at the Charlotte Maxwell Complimentary Clinic in Oakland where there is a strong community healing atmosphere, similar to Sarana, which vibrates with love and connection. I strongly support the community acupuncture model and am a longtime Sarana client. I look forward to being part of Sarana's community of caring and knowledgeable practitioners.

No comments:

Post a Comment